Friday, April 6, 2012

Volleyball

Wednesday night was the first time in at least four years that I have played volleyball.  When I was in middle school, it was the sport that I loved, that I lived for. I played rec volleyball the entire time I was in middle school. Miracle of all miracles, I made it on to my freshman volleyball team. Since I am 5'2" I played Libero and I was good at it. I never played the front row even though I had a pretty good spike and a pretty good set.  I loved being a libero and I got to the point where I was fearless. I went for digs that should have been impossible, but weren't. Anyway, through a conflict of interest my coaches and I went after it and we got into an argument. I lost my desire to play and was completely burned out on the game. The rest of high school, I played maybe one or two games and since I have been to college, I don't think I have played any.

A couple of nights ago, my roommate invited me to play a pick-up game of volleyball. The rest of the group was pretty much amazing and I was unfortunately not. My serves were awful, spikes non-existent, sets passable and digs were okay. It amazes me how fast you lose something you were once good at. I did have a couple of nice digs, if I do say so myself. We ended up playing for two hours and all I can say is even though I did a horrible job and I was extremely rusty, I still love the game.  I love being involved in a good volley, or pancaking and getting my fingers just under the ball. I love it and I have missed it a lot. I'm hoping that I can get back into it, because it was so much fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment