Monday, June 25, 2012

"If your friends jumped off a cliff, would you do it too?"

 You know  how your mom always asks, "If your friends  jumped off a cliff, would you do it too?" Guess I'm more of a team player than I thought, I totally went cliff jumping on Saturday and loved it.   Me and a group of friends went to Porcupine Reservoir where we swam across to the other side so that we could jump off the cliffs.  


I'm not going to lie, the first jump was so difficult. I was about 15 feet above the water and because of adrenalin or nerves (not sure which) I started shaking. Before I graduated high school, it was nothing for me to repel down 150 foot rock faces, but for some odd reason jumping at 15 feet was way more scary than anything I've ever done.  I sat down on the ledge and watched my friends as they jumped into the water. Then I jumped. It wasn't high enough that you had time to think, but it was fun and the water was the perfect temperature!!! 


The cliffs that we were jumping at didn't stop at 15 feet above the water. My last jump of the day was perhaps the highest that I ever want to jump from. We think it was between 50-60 feet above the water. If that doesn't make your heart stop, I'm not sure what will. Colin looked over at me and asked if we should jump together. I asked which way he was jumping and jumped the other direction on the count of three. When you are 60 feet above the water, you have a lot of time to think before you actually hit the water. Some of the thoughts that ran through my head included: "This is a long ways down." "Where is the water?" "I sure hope I don't hit Colin." "I wonder if I should have thought about this more." And then, I hit the water.  Colin and I started swimming back to the shore and at that point I realized that even though it was more terrifying than just about anything else, it was also a lot of fun! 


Adrenalin junky? Maybe? Crazy? Yeah probably, but you only live once, right?  It was a lot of fun just to hang out with my friends. Some of them were terrified and others were fearless, but all of them didn't come just to watch. They came to participate and they all did. It was a really good time and I'm definitely feeling it today. A little soreness in my shoulders and a couple of bruises on my legs equals a really good time on Saturday.  Worth it? Yeah!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment