Monday, July 9, 2012

4th of July

I love July! I love the 4th of July. Before I left to go home to Delta, I was asking everyone- What are you doing for the 4th? And all I got was boring answers- "Oh, I have to work." "I think I'm going to BBQ." "I'm going to my grandparents place." Then someone asked me what I was doing for the 4th. I said, "I'm going home." "Well, that sounds boring." He said.  Little does he know how exciting being in Delta, UT on the 4th actually is.

This year was typical. It started early. I was up by 6:00 am and had got ready by 7:00 so that I could go to my grandparents place. My Grandma and Grandpa Tolbert for years and years have had a community breakfast. It is a simple meal, pancakes, eggs and bacon, but it is good. The neighbors and family always come and it is a great way to start the day off.

After breakfast we saddle the horses and haul them to Delta for the 4th of July parade. This year I rode Skip. Skip is a great horse, not my horse, but a good one none-the-less. And he couldn't stand still. The parade in Delta is an event. Floats, royalties, horses, a marching band, representatives of the armed forces, city councils and mayors and tons and tons of candy. The parade is over a mile long and is so crowded. People start saving places on the side of the road days ahead of the parade. The parade starts with a flyover. It always scares horses, but it is tradition. From there the parade starts. You smile, wave, control the horse, throw candy and love it. My favorite part is when the little kids look at the horses and say "horsie, daddy/mommy, horsie." I love seeing old friends and people that I know. Delta is small enough that you know everyone or they know you.

After the parade we go back to the city park. At the city park there is a carnival type thing. There is activities for the kids and a program. You also have booths with their wares, tons of food, a water park and skate park. However, the part that I love the most is the pony rides. The riding club that I am associated with does pony rides every year.  You lift kids onto horses for what feels like all day long and then you walk in circles. I had the cutest kids on my horse this year. One kid was this adorable down-syndrome girl. I don't think she understood a word I said, but she sat tall and proud on that horse and grinned like she owned the world. Another kid was only 11, but wanted to hunt everything. It didn't matter what, he wanted to hunt it.  Pure joy is watching those kids faces. They are so excited! Some of them come back every year. We had one girl that insisted that she ride side-saddle and came back three times before we shut down. It was so much fun and it is probably the reason why I love the 4th of July so much.

The rest of the day is just as busy. Usually I go to the Demolition Derby, but this year I choose not to go. The Derby is always an adventure! Cars, trucks, wipe-outs, powder puff, mini cars and fireworks, it gets pretty dang exciting at times. This year I opted out and we had a BBQ instead. The 4th starts early and ends late, but boy is it fun!! I love the 4th of July! It is always a riot!


No comments:

Post a Comment