Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Over

So, what a summer? I'm surprised from the turn of events over the last month.  First off the 4th of July, as previously stated, was amazing and is even more special to me than usual. Over the last month,a lot of very difficult things have happened. My Uncle Monte committed suicide on July 13, 2012. From July 12 to July 20, I worried about my family and was able to go home to spend time with them. We buried my Uncle on July 18. As a family we have held together. It has been the first time in my life that I felt the responsibility of being the oldest grandchild so strongly. I have done my best to be there for my family.

I want to talk about the reason why the 4th was so special. The 4th of July was the last time I was able to talk to my Uncle Monte. My Uncle Monte has always been in my life. When I was born, He was the one that toted me and my cousin, Kelsie,  around. He gave us horse rides and was always there for a good laugh. After high school, he went a different direction than the rest of our family, but since his children were  born started spending more time with the family. Anyway on the 4th of July we do pony rides. It has always been my favorite part. Uncle Monte and I were leading our horses next to each other. He looked at my horse and was like "That is not your horse. Where's your plug?" I explained that I had sold him (Spanky) to a friend of the family so that I could go back for my 2nd bachelors in Family Consumer and Science Education. He took it all in, Smiled at me and said, "Weren't smart enough the first time, huh?" I just started laughing.From there, we talked about his great big buckskin mare. She is 3 years old and stands at about 16 hands. He told me about how she had saved his life when he was irrigating. On paper, it is probably not as funny, but the way my Uncle talks and the way he smiles, just made it so funny. That is my last memory with my Uncle Monte. And I'm so grateful.

He was always a cheerful person. His smile was legendary. When you saw his smile, it didn't matter how bad your day had been, your day always got a lot better. He will always be one of my favorite uncles because of the way he paid attention. He always cared about each one of his nieces and nephews and the way he took care of his own children was amazing. I'm going to miss him very much. The one comfort from this situation is that my family has grown closer. We have started to understand the atonement on even a deeper level and we know that we will see my Uncle again. Not in this life, but for sure in the next.

Some of the other changes, I am winding down on my internships. The Family Life Center is dang near complete. I have 2 presentations, 2 observations and a couple of other requirements and then I am done! Which is a whole lot better than the 10 presentations and 40 observations I started with! I am really excited! My other internship at LDS Employment Resource Services is also on the down-hill slide and I'm hoping I can get it done before school starts.  I also found out this week that I'm missing two classes to graduate. So I am meeting with my adviser tomorrow and hopefully I will be able to get my schedule figured out so that I can graduate on time. I guess that is it. The summer is finishing up and even with some of the things that I have gone through, I'm grateful for this summer.

It has been an experience and I have learned a lot. I have learned how important family is. My cousin Halie and I were great friends until high school. During high school and since then, the relationship has been very strained. However, since my Uncle's death, we have both done better to make an actual relationship. I'm so very grateful for that opportunity and the time I was able to spend with my family. You always wish for a better reason to get together, but it was a blessing to be able to lean on each other.  

No comments:

Post a Comment